When you have adrenal issues your circadian rhythm is broken. This is your innate ability to function as a clock so you'll know when to sleep, when to wake, and when to do other things that are important for your survival.
With adrenal fatigue there's no doubt that you're fatigued so you need to work on your sleep issues. While some people will tell you to "Just take melatonin," this honestly isn't the answer. Instead, you should think of it as a bandaid that'll only help you get things right. For some people melatonin won't work at all. For other people it can cause headaches, feelings of depression, daytime sleepiness, dizziness, stomach cramps, and irritability.
Instead of applying a band aid to your sleep issues, you should:
- Always get up at the same time. Yes, even on weekends!
- Make sure you get at least 30 minutes of sun in the morning. This should be done at the same time everyday.
- When you first get up, make sure you engage in some gentle stretching exercises like these. They'll only take you 10 minutes and the combination of these stretches and getting plenty of light in the morning will help turn down melatonin synthesis so you have more naturla melatonin in your body when you need it the most - at night.
- Check on your diet. Each person needs a different amount of calories per day. To determine what this is for you, use a calorie calculator.
- Carbs create melatonin. This is why you should eat more of them at night.
- Keep one meal a day without any protein so that your brain's wake cycle isn't too high.
- Use blue light filters. This is because these light's rays cause your body to produce less melatonin, which is what induces sleep. We're all addicted to our phones, computers and other electronic devices today. You don't have to give these up if you use filters.
Here's what I'm doing that's working...
- Sun everyday around 10/11AM
- 1,400 - 1,600 calories per day
- No less than 100 carbs per day
- Lunch is my no protein meal since this is like my second breakfast on a lot of days this is easy to do - just have some fruit and cereal, a cheese quesadilla or a salad also works.
- I've installed f.lux beta on my computer and Night Shift on my Android phone but there's f.lux for Windows and Nightshift available for iPhones.